Imphal: Kangujam Kanarjit Singh, also known as KK Singh, the father of ‘climate activist’ Licypriya Kangujam, was reportedly brought back to Manipur by an Air India flight on Tuesday, said sources.
Kanarjit, who was on the run since 2016, was arrested in the national capital by a joint team of Manipur Police and Delhi Police’s Special Cell on Monday.
As per sources, Kanarjit was produced in a Delhi court, which later granted his custody to Manipur police.
The chief judicial magistrate of Imphal East had earlier announced Kanarjit as an absconder in 2016 and charged him under Sections 406/417/420/120-B/120-A/107/34. Since then, the state police have been on his trail.
Kanarjit, who is a self-proclaimed youth leader, was allegedly arrested for his alleged involvement in cases pertaining to forged documents and signatures. Sources said Kanarjit and his family, including Licypriya, were staying in an apartment in New Delhi since he left Manipur, from where he was arrested on Monday.
Kanarjit is alleged to have collected funds and fees from national and international students in the name of organising international youth committee meets and other seminars, relief for earthquake victims and more fundraising that allegedly never reached beneficiaries.
- Beyond Bharat Jodo: Can a Third Front challenge BJP-Congress hegemony?
- Tripura 2023: Union min Pratima Bhoumik files nomination for Dhanpur
- Assam: Kailash Satyarthi lauds state govt’s efforts to end child marriages
- JD(U) announces first candidate for Nagaland election
- Assam: Swaheed Krishak Diwas observed in Patharighat
- CPI(M) demands high-level probe against Adani Group