Imphal: In a major breakthrough against extortion activities in Manipur, troops of the Assam Rifles have busted a major racket and arrested two active rebels belonging to the United Kuki Liberation Army (Military Council) from Songpi in Churachandpur district.
UKLA (MC) is a newly formed “non-Suspension of Operation (SoO)” insurgent group.
Based on specific intelligence input about the presence of UKLA (MC) rebels involved in extortion activities in Songpi, security forces executed the operation on Wednesday, officials said.
During the operation, two members of the Kuki outfit were arrested and a printed and signed “demand” letter being used for illegal extortion along with 11 SP tablets (drugs) recovered from them.
The arrested rebels have been identified as Letjakai Touthang, self-styled “finance secretary” of the outfit hailing from Janglenphai village, and Sominhao Touthang, self-styled “home secretary”, hailing from Jangnomphai village of Churachandpur district.
The arrested rebels have been handed over to Churachandpur police for further investigation, officials added.
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for September 27
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for September 27
- Meghalaya forms regional committees for second phase of border talks
- Assam marks Tourism Day with focus on attracting more visitors
- Assam: Women turn entrepreneurs with areca palm waste dinnerware
- Meghalaya: Taj Vivanta to be inaugurated on October 14