Imphal: In a major breakthrough against extortion activities in Manipur, troops of the Assam Rifles have busted a major racket and arrested two active rebels belonging to the United Kuki Liberation Army (Military Council) from Songpi in Churachandpur district.
UKLA (MC) is a newly formed “non-Suspension of Operation (SoO)” insurgent group.
Based on specific intelligence input about the presence of UKLA (MC) rebels involved in extortion activities in Songpi, security forces executed the operation on Wednesday, officials said.
During the operation, two members of the Kuki outfit were arrested and a printed and signed “demand” letter being used for illegal extortion along with 11 SP tablets (drugs) recovered from them.
The arrested rebels have been identified as Letjakai Touthang, self-styled “finance secretary” of the outfit hailing from Janglenphai village, and Sominhao Touthang, self-styled “home secretary”, hailing from Jangnomphai village of Churachandpur district.
The arrested rebels have been handed over to Churachandpur police for further investigation, officials added.
- Naga Students’ Federation condemn Athuan Abonmai’s murder
- Nagaland gets first child-friendly court at Wokha
- What’s all the hype around Garena Free Fire Max about?
- Yemeni officials: Clashes over key city kill 130 fighters
- Top Assam Maoist Tingraj Orang surrenders
- Centre extends nationwide COVID-19 containment measures till Oct 31