Imphal: Troops of Assam Rifles under the aegis of IGAR (south) seized smuggled timber worth Rs 1.58 crore near Heirok village in Manipur‘s Thoubal district on Wednesday.
Based on reliable inputs about the smuggling of timber, troops of Assam Rifles carried out the operation and intercepted two vehicles loaded with timber, said the official.
On thorough checking of the vehicles, the team recovered smuggled timber assessed to be worth over a crore, he said.
The seized items along with arrested individuals have been handed over to the Forest Range Office in Thoubal for further legal action, he added.
Meanwhile, in another operation, a team of Assam Rifles intercepted a truck carrying teak wood near Khudengthabi in Tengnoupal district on Tuesday.
According to the official statement, based on specific intelligence, a team of Tengnoupal Battalion launched a search operation at around 8 pm. The team intercepted a truck carrying teak wood and on thorough checking, 45.395 cubic feet of teak wood was recovered from the vehicle.
The recovered wood and the apprehended individuals were handed over to the forest department for further investigation.
- Yemeni officials: Clashes over key city kill 130 fighters
- Top Assam Maoist Tingraj Orang surrenders
- Centre extends nationwide COVID-19 containment measures till Oct 31
- Manipur: Two suspects arrested in Athuan Abonmai murder case
- Kanhaiya Kumar joins Congress
- Carelessness? 30 test COVID-19 positive at Sikkim nursing college