One teenager was killed and eight injured in a clash between two families in Naorem Leikai Amujao (Sofa) Leikai in Manipur’s Imphal West district.
As per reports, the incident happened on Saturday evening at around 11:30 pm, when a violent clash erupted between two groups. During the fight, RK Casper, a 16-year-old boy, was hit by a bullet on the chest and later succumbed to his injuries at Raj Medicity
Police have arrested two persons involved in the incident with two firearms in their possessions, while two more allegedly involved are yet to be arrested.
The arrested persons have identified as Longjam Pikto Singh, 70, and his son Longjam Mocha, 34.
Enraged by the incident, some locals torched the house of Pikto Singh. Fire at the house of another accused was brought under control by the Manipur Fire service on Sunday morning, it said.
Following the incident, the Imphal West magistrate imposed restrictions under Section 144 CrPC in some areas of Naorem Leikai to prevent further escalation. Moreover, area residents were advised to not venture out from their homes until further notice.
An FIR was lodged at the Singjamei Police Station under IPC Sections 307/506/326 and 34 and Section 25 (I-C) of the Arms Act, it said.
- ADB scales down India’s economic growth forecast to 10% this fiscal
- India asks UK to address concerns on travel rules related to COVID vaccination
- Peace talks: After Mishra & Assam CM, Nagaland govt to meet NSCN-IM
- Arunachal Guv assures memorial in memory of martyred soldier
- MNF names K. Laldawnglian as party contender for Tuirial bypoll
- Nagaland teams up with NGO to tackle child malnutrition, mortality