Imphal: Manipur University on Monday appointed Professor Amar Yumnam as the Vice-Chancellor in-charge of the varsity with immediate effect.
Professor Yumnam is the senior-most Professor of the Manipur University (MU) and the head of the department of South-East Asian Studies of the university.
Yumnam is the director of Center for Manipur Studies and professor at the department of economics.
An order issued by Registrar W Chandbabu Singh stated that Amar Yumnam of the Economics Department, being the seniormost professor, will perform his duties as Vice-Chancellor in-charge until he attains the age of 65 years or a new vice-chancellor assumes the office.
Following an order issued by the Manipur High Court abdicating the Manipur University administrator cum vice-chancellor Jarnail Singh on November 30, the office of the vice-chancellor has been vacant.
Meanwhile, various students’ bodies staged a sit-in-protest threatening the government to intensify their stir if the Center fails to appoint the varsity’s VC by December 14.
- Entire nation’s eyes on us: Tata Sons chairman to AI employees
- Assembly polls: Public meetings for first phase in UP from Friday
- Meghalaya CM breaks silence over attending R-Day celebrations
- Assam: Ex-Gorkha rebels surrender, hope for peace in border area
- Firing along Assam-Arunachal border: Sarma tells officers to resolve fracas
- Sikkim reports 112 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths