Imphal: Professional mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Roshan Mainam Luwang from Manipur won the opening bout of ONE Championship: Reign of Dynasties via submission on Friday evening beating Liu Peng Shuai of China in Singapore.
Once a sickly child himself, this 23-year-old martial art fighter-turned-professional fighter from Thoubal district took on ONE Hefei Flyweight Tournament Champion Liu Peng and won by rear-naked choke (RNC) at 2 minutes and 27 seconds in the second round at ONE Championship, one of Asia’s biggest MMA promotion fight.
Known for his physicality and explosiveness while using the technique of double leg takedown, Roshan gave powerful punches against his Chinese opponent in the second and gave a dangerous knockout performance.
As per reports, Mainam made his ONE Championship debut at “ONE: Masters of Fate” at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila, the Philippines in 2019. He was the sole representative of India, which was one of the 15 countries represented.
An Indian wrestling champion and a member of the Guru Hanuman Akhara, Mainam was the first-ever Indian mixed martial artist to join the Evolve Fight Team, the official fight team of Evolve MMA based in Singapore.
- Maternal uncle sentenced to 25-years in jail for raping niece
- Arunachal: Congress imposes bandh in Siang over failure to restore Highway
- BJP MLA writes to Nadda, demands separation of Darjeeling from Bengal
- Centre to appoint CS with working knowledge of Mizo language: Zoramthanga
- Repeal AFSPA, deliver justice: Kohima residents take to streets
- AFSPA misused, should be repealed: Arunachal Congress MLA Ering