Imphal: Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh on Saturday congratulated Hockey India’s new officiating president Gyanendro Ningombam at his office in Imphal.
Hockey India in an Emergent Executive Board meeting held on Friday nominated and approved the appointment of its senior vice-president Ningombam as the new officiating president of the national governing body.
In a press statement, Hockey India cited the reason of former president Mohd Mushtaque Admad’s resignation as personal and family commitments.
CM Biren Singh took to his official Twitter handle, “Congratulations Shri Gyanendro Ningombam, on being named as the new officiating president of Hockey India.”
“It is a matter of great pride for Manipur and I believe Indian hockey will be taken to greater heights under your presidency,” Singh added.
Ningombam, who has several years of association with Manipur Hockey, is known for his great role played in supporting talented players and the development of the sport at the grassroots level in the state.
From the year 2009 to 2014, Ningombam has served as the chief executive officer (CEO) of Manipur Hockey and later, appointed as the vice-president of the state hockey association for five years from 2014 to 2018.
Ningombam also served as the editor of Meeyam, an evening daily newspaper in Manipur.
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma
- Nagaland reports 17 new COVID cases, 1 more fatality
- NSCN(IM) invited to Delhi to continue talks: Nagaland CM
- Naga leader murder: JAC calls for 48-hr strike, Manipur govt seeks more time to meet demands