Imphal: Former chief executive officer (CEO) of Manipur Hockey, Gyanendro Ningombam, has been named as the new officiating president of Hockey India by its Executive Board on Friday.
Following the resignation of Mohd Mushtaaque Ahmad as the president of the Hockey India in July citing personal and family commitments, the Executive Board members held an Emergency Executive Board meeting and subsequently nominated and approved its senior vice-president Ningombam as the new officiating president, said an official statement.
Ningombam has for several years been associated with Manipur Hockey and has been instrumental in supporting talented players and the development of the sport at the grassroots level, it said.
Meanwhile, prior to taking over the mantle in 2018, the outgoing Hockey India president Ahmad had served in the national governing body as the general secretary.
Under his presidency, Hockey India went on to successfully host the prestigious FIH Men’s World Cup in 2018 as well as the FIH Olympic Qualifiers in 2019 where both men and women national hockey teams qualified for the Tokyo Olympic Games, it said.
The Hockey India Executive Board expressed gratitude to Mohd Mushtaaque Ahmad for his commitment shown towards the development of the sport, it added
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma
- Nagaland reports 17 new COVID cases, 1 more fatality
- NSCN(IM) invited to Delhi to continue talks: Nagaland CM
- Naga leader murder: JAC calls for 48-hr strike, Manipur govt seeks more time to meet demands