Imphal: Seven persons have been arrested in connection with smuggling of contraband items worth lakhs in two separate operations carried out by the troops of Assam Rifles under the aegis of HQ IGAR (south) in Manipur on Thursday.
In the first operation, the security forces moved to Gamphazol village in following the receipt of information regarding smuggling of contraband items from the area, said an official statement issued on Friday.
Later, troops of Assam Rifles intercepted a suspected vehicle and recovered huge quantity of contraband items, including 5,500 packets of WIN cigarettes, dry petal nuts and other contraband items worth lakhs in the international market, it said.
Three individuals, identified as Thongmang from Old Samtal, Tong Ming Thang of Hengshi and Hai Millien from S Bongjoi, all from Chandel district, have been arrested by the troops.
In another joint operation with Molcham police in Tengnoupal, the security forces recovered 6,000 packets of WIN cigarettes, a foreign product, worth lakhs were seized, said the official.
Moreover, four residents of Molcham have been arrested in connection with the smuggling case. They are identified as Jamkholin Baite, Michael Jamminthang, Dominie Lunsei Haokip and Jacob Jamkhapao.
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma
- Nagaland reports 17 new COVID cases, 1 more fatality
- NSCN(IM) invited to Delhi to continue talks: Nagaland CM
- Naga leader murder: JAC calls for 48-hr strike, Manipur govt seeks more time to meet demands