Imphal: As part of its effort to drive against selling of illegal intoxicant items, the All Manipur Students’ Union (AMSU) Imphal East district committee on Monday carried out a surprise check and recovered a huge number of tobacco products worth at least Rs 1.5 lakh from Mantripukhri market in Imphal East district of Manipur.
The recovered banned items, which included gutkha brands like Talab, Saajan and Shikhar, pan leaves, cigarettes and such other items, were seized from at least 200 shops. Later, the items were disposed of by burning them down.
Speaking with EastMojo, AMSU Imphal East unit president Sanjoy Mangsatabam said that the drive was carried out against the selling of tobacco items in markets which are illegal and banned, especially during the lockdown.
“People of Manipur are suffering due to the ongoing pandemic lockdown. Selling of such banned items which are hazardous to health is absolutely against it,” he said.
It is the first of such raids in the district and will continue in other parts of the district.
Earlier, a similar drive were also carried by the students’ body in Kakching and Bishnupur districts, respectively.
Chewing of such smokeless tobacco items often produces the urge for spitting in public places which in turn is also hazardous to health.
Now, in view of the unprecedented health escalation due to COVID-19, the government has banned and prohibited the use and selling of such smokeless tobacco, and spitting in public places as preventive measures from the spread of the virus.
The Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) has also appealed the public to restrain from consuming such smokeless tobacco products and avoid spitting in public places.
- India and Nepal agree to take Sapta Kosi high dam project forward
- ‘Serial’ podcast’s Adnan Syed has murder conviction vacated. How common are wrongful convictions?
- Nagaland failed to submit Rs 600 cr utilisation certificates for 251 projects: CAG
- What’s this ‘longevity’ diet, and will it really make you live longer?
- Pakistan seeks peace with all neighbours including India: PM Shehbaz at UN
- Congress backed PFI when in power, alleges Minister