The Imphal-Dimapur road along NH-2 is considered the lifeline of Manipur
The Imphal-Dimapur road along NH-2 is considered the lifeline of Manipur|Representational image

Manipur: Proposed ‘economic blockade’ called off in Senapati

Earlier, civil society bodies in Manipur’s Senapati district had warned of economic blockade on NH-2 from 6 pm today over their demand of suspension of DC

Summary

Senapati: In a major development, a proposed indefinite economic blockade, which was announced earlier by the Senapati-based civil societies in Manipur, has been called-off following a meeting held between the CSO leaders, tribe hohos and state officials represented by PHED minister L Dikho, MP Dr Lorho S Pfoze and MLA and advisor to the CM K Leishiyo on Wednesday.

In a statement issued by the Naga People’s Organisation (NPO), Senapati District Students’ Organisation (SDSO), Senapati District Women Association (SDWA) said that the proposed indefinite economic blockade has been called off after the state government assured to set up an inquiry committee to probe the case against the former district deputy commissioner Somorjit Salam for violating the COVID-19 protocols.

The proposed indefinite economic blockade along the National Highway 2 (Imphal-Dimapur road) which is the lifeline of Manipur was supposed to start from 6 pm on Wednesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Senapati groups warned to imposed an ‘indefinite economic blockade’ along the NH-2 if the state government failed to address their demands of the suspension of the former deputy commissioner Somorjit Salam from service for allegedly violating of COVID-19 protocols within 24 hours.

On Monday, the CSOs had served a 48-hour ultimatum to chief minister N Biren Singh over the demand.

However, the following evening, Governor Najma Heptulla announced the transfer of Senapati DC Somorjit Salam to Kangpokpi district, to be replaced by Lalithambigai Kalidash as the magistrate of the district.

The Senapati organisations accused the former DC of violating COVID-19 quarantine protocols on the May 13 by giving safe passage to 36 returnees from Mumbai during ‘no entry hour’ at Mao Gate.

Moreover, the district magistrate hosted them dinner and night halt at multi-purpose hall, a non-quarantine centre, putting thousands of lives in Senapati district at great risk following two persons from the Mumbai returnees testing COVID-19 positive, reports said.

For more such stories, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Activate Website Notifications to stay updated.

Last updated

EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com