The incident occurred in Manipur’s Ukhrul district
The incident occurred in Manipur’s Ukhrul district|EastMojo image

Manipur: Massive fire engulfs house in Ukhrul village, baby dead

The incident occurred at Shashaitang locality in Hungpung village on Saturday evening; house completely burnt; cause of fire and damage yet to be ascertained

Vangamla Salle K S

Vangamla Salle K S

EastMojo image

Ukhrul: A less than a year-old baby was charred to death after a massive fire engulfed a private residence at Hungpung village in Manipur's Ukhrul district on Saturday evening.

The cause of the fire and damage are yet to be ascertained. Fire brigades were rushed to the spot to douse the blaze, said reports.

As per initial reports, the incident happened at Hungpung's Shashaitang locality in Ukhrul. The house owner's name is K Pangshi, sources said.

A baby, less than a year old, reportedly died in the incident. "The cause of the fire seems to be from burning of candle since there was no electricity during the time of incident. The baby was in the bedroom with a candlelight while the rest of the family was in the kitchen having dinner," sources said.

The house was completely burnt due to the fire, the sources added.

The incident comes barely two days after two young brothers -- Ishan Goswami (8) and Iban Goswami (5) -- were charred to death when a massive fire engulfed their building in Assam's Guwahati on Thursday afternoon. It was Iban’s fifth birthday on Thursday, and a grand party was to take place later in the evening.

Sources in the Assam state disaster management authority said that the fire may have been triggered by an LPG leakage.

For more such stories, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Activate Website Notifications to stay updated.