Imphal: The United Naga Council (UNC), an apex body of Nagas in Manipur, is organising protest rallies across Naga-dominated areas of the state. The rallies are to show their support for an early solution to the ongoing Naga talks between the Government of India and Naga groups led by National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM).
The rallies will take place in all the five-Naga dominated districts of Chandel, Kamjong, Senapati, Tamenglong and Ukhrul from 11 am onwards.
“The Naga issue has been dragging on for too long now. The rallies are being organised to show the solidarity of the Nagas in Manipur for the Naga cause, UNC leader Kho John said.
The Zeliangrong Civil Organisations (ZCOs), however, has expressed fear that the proposed rallies might provoke communal tension as the atmosphere already is somewhat tense and lot of misunderstanding has already taken place between different communities in Manipur with regard to the Naga talks.
ZCOs which consists of Zeliangrong Baudi, Zeliangrong Youth Front and Zeliangrong Students’ Union, has asked UNC to focus on a policy which will ease the atmosphere and help erase the animosity between different communities in the state.
- Sikkim logs 40 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- Fixed-wing flight services to remote towns of Arunachal Pradesh
- PM urges people to ensure no one is left out of vaccination’s ‘circle of safety’
- Sikkim districts to undergo nomenclature change: CM Golay
- How this social entrepreneur is championing love for voiceless animals
- Assam: 5 of 6 accused deny charges of instigating Gorukhuti violence