Imphal: The United Naga Council (UNC), an apex body of Nagas in Manipur, is organising protest rallies across Naga-dominated areas of the state. The rallies are to show their support for an early solution to the ongoing Naga talks between the Government of India and Naga groups led by National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM).
The rallies will take place in all the five-Naga dominated districts of Chandel, Kamjong, Senapati, Tamenglong and Ukhrul from 11 am onwards.
“The Naga issue has been dragging on for too long now. The rallies are being organised to show the solidarity of the Nagas in Manipur for the Naga cause, UNC leader Kho John said.
The Zeliangrong Civil Organisations (ZCOs), however, has expressed fear that the proposed rallies might provoke communal tension as the atmosphere already is somewhat tense and lot of misunderstanding has already taken place between different communities in Manipur with regard to the Naga talks.
ZCOs which consists of Zeliangrong Baudi, Zeliangrong Youth Front and Zeliangrong Students’ Union, has asked UNC to focus on a policy which will ease the atmosphere and help erase the animosity between different communities in the state.
- India GDP grows at 6.3 pc in Jul-Sept quarter
- Exporters say key buyer Iran not lifting Indian tea
- The era of megalopolis: how the world’s cities are merging
- More boys with cancer being diagnosed than girls in India: Lancet study
- BJP got Rs 614.53 cr as contributions in 2021-22, Congress Rs 95.46 cr
- Six common COVID myths, busted