EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com
Three members from the same family died after eating a wild mushroom, locally known as ‘Ngatha Var’, in Ukhrul, Manipur
Three members from the same family died after eating a wild mushroom, locally known as ‘Ngatha Var’, in Ukhrul, Manipur|EastMojo image
MANIPUR

Manipur: Docs to study deadly mushroom after it kills 3 in Ukhrul

6 of family consume wild mushroom, locally known as ‘Ngatha Var’, for dinner on July 2; while Joseph Khangrah, 70, died on July 8, two of his grandkids passed away on July 10 & 11, respectively

Vangamla Salle K S

Vangamla Salle K S

Imphal: Doctors of the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) Hospital in Imphal are likely to visit Ukhrul district to study the deadly mushroom following the death of three of a family at Sihai Khullen village recently, said family sources.

The rest of the family members who had tasted the mushroom dish were also taken to the hospital and got admitted at RIMS following complaints of breathing and other problems, it said.

The incident happened on July 2 after the family of six, including their grandfather, consumed the wild mushroom, locally known as ‘Ngatha Var’, for dinner. However, the initial reaction they had was just nausea and vomiting and therefore they did not seek medical treatment, said sources.

However, according to sources, things started worsening in the morning of July 8 after the grandfather, identified as Joseph Khangrah, 70, complained of stomach problems and was declared dead in no time. Two of his grandkids, identified as Chalakmi Khangrah, 3, and Puimila Khangrah, 5, complained of similar problems and died on July 10 and 11, respectively, the sources said.

According to the report, Puimila, the granddaughter of Joseph Khangrah, breathed her last while she was on the way to Imphal. She was advised by doctors at the Ukhrul District Hospital to be taken to Imphal for better treatment as her condition had deteriorated.

Unfortunately, Vareiso Khangrah, father of the two deceased children, and his wife, Timnah Khangrah, along with his eldest daughter Wongayung Khangrah, couldn’t attend the last rites of Puimila as they too were fighting for their lives at the hospital, sources said.

All three of them, according to sources, were discharged from the hospital on Monday and are said to be out of danger.

According to the study, symptoms of poisonous mushroom after eating occur within six to 24 hours and it includes nausea, stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.

However, what remains a mystery in the Sihai incident was that the incident occurred almost a week after the consumption of the wild mushroom.