The police in UP’s Muzaffarnagar have lodged an FIR against famous hairstylist Jawed Habib for spitting on a woman’s hair while styling it, officials said on Friday.
A video of the incident, which took place at a workshop in Muzaffarnagar on January 3, went viral on social media on Thursday.
In the video, Habib is heard telling the audience, “If there is a shortage of water, use saliva”.
The FIR was lodged at Mansurpur police station on a complaint filed by Pooja Gupta, a resident of Baraut town, on whose hair Habib spat during the workshop, the police said.
Habib has been booked under Section 355 (assault or criminal force with intent to dishonour person, otherwise than on grave provocation) of the Indian Penal Code and the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897, they said.
Soon after the video went viral on social platforms, netizens blasted the hairstylist for his unceremonious act on stage. Meanwhile, Hindu activists held a protest against Habib and demanded action against the hairstylist.
Taking this into cognizance, the National Commission for Women also came in action and asked the Uttar Pradesh police to probe the veracity of a purported video that shows popular hairstylist Jawed Habib spitting on a woman’s head while styling her hair.
A noted hairstylist, Habib operates more than 850 salons and around 65 hair academies across 115 cities across India.
Meanwhile, Jawed Habib released a fresh video on Instagram explaining why he did it and apologized for his actions.
- Changes in IAS rules will up scope for abuse of power by Centre: ex-civil servants
- Entire nation’s eyes on us: Tata Sons chairman to AI employees
- Assembly polls: Public meetings for first phase in UP from Friday
- Meghalaya CM breaks silence over attending R-Day celebrations
- Assam: Ex-Gorkha rebels surrender, hope for peace in border area
- Firing along Assam-Arunachal border: Sarma tells officers to resolve fracas