One of the defining elements of childhood, carefree winter day is drinking the ganne ka ras aka sugarcane juice. This important winter ritual is bound to make one nostalgic of the street vendors who comes with their big juice machines in front of schools and colleges, offering a glass filled to the brim.
The sugarcane juice is not only delicious but as acclaimed celebrity nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar rightfully pointed out- is a “golden nectar” for health. Sugarcane and its derivatives are used in a lot of traditional Ayurvedic remedies.
How and when to have it?
Freshly-squeezed sugarcane juice is the best way to take the “golden nectar” and preferably before noon as it is a natural coolant. According to Diwekar, since sugarcane is in the season “you can have it almost daily, but try for at least thrice a week while sitting down.” Furthermore, chewing on sugarcane is great for oral health as well.
Why should we have it?
- It is a natural detox agent. The juice helps in flushing out toxins from the body as it helps in clearing the gut and increases metabolism. Sugarcane also manages the heat response in the body and provides a cooling effect as well. Especially in winters when many often forget to drink water, drinking a glass of sugarcane juice will help in keeping the body hydrated with a dozen of other health benefits.
- The presence of Vitamin C and antioxidants helps in strengthening the body’s immune system. Sugarcane also helps combat liver diseases, respiratory infections, combats digestive disorders, and lowers inflammation.
- Sugarcane juice also helps fight acne, delays aging, reduces blemishes, and helps in keeping the skin supple. The alpha-hydroxy acids have great benefits for skin health and the glycolic acid present helps in maintaining skin radiance.
- The plant’s diuretic nature helps in the prevention of urinary tract infections, relieves bloating, and helps kidneys function better.
- Also helps in the reduction of spotting before mensuration in females.
- Helps in sustainable weight loss.
- It also acts as a fertility booster and is known to improve both sperm quality and lactation in new moms.
So, the next time you see a sugarcane juice vendor, take your time to sit down and enjoy a refreshing glass or two.
- PM Modi meets UP ministers in Lucknow, stresses on good governance
- Rajnath Singh launches 2 indigenously built warships ‘Surat’ and ‘Udaygiri’
- Trained sniffer dogs may detect Covid infected airport passengers: Study
- WPI inflation at record high in April on price rise across all items
- Manipur: Even floods can’t stop these kids from coming to school in Noney
- Govt OKs exporting wheat registered with customs prior to ban