Mizo Falcons clinched the champion’s trophy at the first-ever mixed-gender North East Futsal League. The tournament, which was conducted over seven days at the NC Bordoloi Indoor Stadium, Sarusajai in Guwahati, Assam on Saturday.
The high-intensity final match between Assam Titans and Mizo Falcons ended with a 5-0 score. Within a few seconds into the game, Mizo Falcons scored their first goal drawing rapturous cheers from the Mizoram supporters. Mizo Falcons then scored another goal within minutes of the first goal ensuing an intense tussle between the two teams.
The fast-paced match led to many players unable to find their footing and the team members from both the teams suffering minor injuries. By the second half, Assam Titans drew the short end of the straw as a team member was given the ‘red card’ forcing the Assam Titans team to play with a handicap. Mizo Falcons, taking the opportunity, gave three more goals in the second round of the match, securing their position as the champion in North East Futsal League..
The winning team walked away with a prize money of Rs 5 lakh, with the runner-up bagging Rs 2.5 lakh.
Sayantan Choudhary, captain and goalie of Assam Titans, was named the ‘Best Goalkeeper’ of the tournament. Lalawmpuia and Jessica of Mizo Falcons won ‘Player of the Tournament’ in the male and female category, respectively. Md Shah Jahan of Apunba Manipur was bestowed with the top scorer of the tournament with 10 goals.
Rakesh Paracyclist was also present in the closing ceremony as the chief guest of the event.
- Meghalaya 2023: Employment, social welfare at centre of NPP’s manifesto
- Judicial officer elevated as judge of Manipur HC
- Meghalaya poll: Woman refuses freebies from candidates, returns gifts
- Power struggles in nature can be more subtle than just dog-eat-dog
- Aquaculture industry sceptical about budget sops impact
- SC issues notice to Centre on PILs on BBC documentary on Gujarat riots