Mumbai: Filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s latest directorial venture “Gangubai Kathiawadi”, starring Alia Bhatt, has earned Rs 39.12 crore over the weekend, the makers said on Monday.
The film, which released on Friday, minted Rs 10.5 crore on Day 1 followed by Rs 13.32 crore on Saturday.
On Sunday, the film witnessed a jump as it clocked Rs 15.3 crore, collections shared by Bhansali Productions on Twitter read.
Many in the trade have dubbed the film’s performance at the box office as impressive since it has managed to bring in the numbers despite 50 per cent occupancy cap in Maharashtra, a key state for Hindi films.
The film, based on a chapter from writer S Hussain Zaidi’s book Mafia Queens of Mumbai, features Bhatt as Gangubai, one of the most powerful, loved and respected madams from Kamathipura during the 1960s.
Also starring Ajay Devgn, Vijay Raaz, Seema Pahwa and Shantanu Maheshwari, “Gangubai Kathiawadi” is co-produced by Bhansali Productions and Jayantilal Gada’s Pen India Limited.
- World Sports Journalist Day 2022: History, significance and more
- On World UFO Day, a look at UFO ‘sightings’ in Northeast
- From Greenland shark to seafaring cockatoo: Meet 5 remarkably old animals
- Pak steeply hikes petrol prices under deal with IMF to revive bailout programme
- Meghalaya: Deputy CM meets protesting teachers, assures support
- Murmu has better chances to win prez polls after Maha development: Mamata