Tinsukia: An Assam police constable stationed at the Dibrugarh Sadar police station has been arrested after allegedly killing his pregnant wife at the official quarter in Assam’s Dibrugarh town.
The accused, identified as Biki Chetia, used his service weapon to kill his four-month pregnant wife Jaya, following an argument after midnight on Sunday, Additional Superintendent of Police (HQ) Bitul Chetia said.
“He has confessed to his crime saying that he killed his wife due to a family dispute,” the ASP said.
The couple was married four years ago.
Officer-in-charge of Dibrugarh Sadar Police Station Bularam Terong told EastMojo that the accused police constable has been arrested and his service weapon seized.
“The deceased, Jaya Chetia, died after sustaining injuries from two bullets. The body has been sent for autopsy,” Terong said.
A case under section 302 of the IPC has been registered against Biki Chetia.
“It appears there was some domestic dispute between the husband and wife who got married around 4 years ago,” Terong added.
- What happens if you need to pee while you’re asleep?
- Drivers in Mizoram repair dilapidated roads
- Keeping your cool in a warming world: 8 steps to help manage eco-anxiety
- Assam: RGU celebrates International Peace Day
- Meghalaya: Drugs worth Rs 2 crore seized in Shillong
- Ziro Festival to host Israeli musicians in collaboration with Embassy of Israel