Concerned with a spike in COVID-19 cases across the state, particulary in Shillong, Tura and Jowai, the Meghalaya government on Wednesday decided to put in place containment measures in these areas. The government clarified that this was not a lockdown.
The containment measures will be in force from 5 am on May 1 to 5 am on May 10.
“The government has taken these decisions after thorough discussion and getting inputs from different district administration authorities. Effective 5 am on May 1 to 5 am on May 10, containment measures, not lockdown, will be enforced in places that have seen a spike in COVID-19 cases, namely Shillong (urban agglomeration), Jowai and Tura,” Deputy chief minister Prestone Tynsong said.
Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma tweeted: “Govt has decided to put in place containment measures for Shillong Urban Agglomeration, Jowai & Tura. Containment measures will be effective from 5 AM of May 1 till 5 AM of May 10. These measures are being put in place to ensure the spread of #COVID19 is contained.”
What happens during the 10-day containment period?
- Essential shops will be allowed to open subject to regulations, on fixed days and timing. Concerned DCs to share information
- Subject to regulation, all construction activities will be allowed, including shops dealing in hardware, electrical, mobile repair shops, automobile shops
- Banks and banking services, post and telegraph, telecommunication services will be allowed
- Essential government offices will be allowed subject to regulations set by personnel department
- All private offices will be shut, except those providing essential services
- Non-essential government institutions will be shut and can work from home
- All political, public and religious gathering will be banned. This will NOT include weddings and funerals, subject to prior permission from area DC
- All sporting activities will be banned
- All educational institutions will remain shut from May 1-10
- All non-essential vehicular movement will be stopped
All inter or intra-district movement to and from Shillong, Jowai and Tura and other containment areas will be restricted, except for those under special emergency services.
Subject to self-declaration and adherence to COVID protocaols, emergency movement of vehicles will be permitted only in the following cases:
- People moving to avail healthcare services, including emergency and vaccination
- Agriculture and veterinary services
- Vehicles transporting essential items
- Students, teachers and staff related to conduct of exams
- Goods vehicle including E-commerce, as well home delivery services from pharmacies and food vendors
- Press – print and electronic
- Persons engaged in construction
- Persons traveling on essential govt duty like medical team, officials on COVID-19 duty, police, security, armed forces, civil defence, home guard, fire, emergency, NEEPCO, MeECL, Power Grid, FCI, Information & Public Relations Department, bank, post telegraph and telecommunication services
- Any emergency movement will be allowed on issuance of passes from concerned DCs.
- Violators will be penalised
This story was updated with the latest details.