Meghalaya still trying to trace source of COVID-19 transmission
Shillong: While several questions have emerged over the source of transmission of COVID-19 in Meghalaya, which has reported nine positive cases including a death so far, state health and family welfare minister AL Hek said it would be too early to draw any conclusion.
Addressing the media on Thursday, Hek said, “We tried to establish if Dr John L Sailo Ryntathiang contracted the virus from his son-in-law. But there is nothing to indicate in that direction because the sample test on the son-in-law has been taken thrice and the results of all the three tests have turned out to be negative.”
He said that the district surveillance committee is still working on trying to find the source of transmission and how it entered the state. Hek also said that it would be too early to draw any conclusion.
When asked if the government was taken by surprise after a hospital has turned into a hotspot of COVID-19, Hek said, “We did not anticipate such a thing would happen. Even the senior doctor who died of COVID-19 was totally unaware that he had contracted the virus until he was tested positive.”
Hek said that everything happened all of a sudden, though the state government was quick to react to convert the entire Bethany Hospital into a COVID-19 Hospital. It was a relief that none of the other doctors, staff or in-patients at Bethany Hospital have tested positive so far, the minister added.
Hek also informed that the six family members of the first patient have opted to self-quarantine at home. Even after the government offered its support, they insisted that they are better off to be self-quarantined in their own home since this can spare separate rooms for everyone.
Meanwhile, minister Hek informed that the health condition of all the six family members is stable. “I am happy that they are strictly following all the health advisories and protocols issued by the government. We have to cooperate with them since they are cooperating with the government,” he added.