New Delhi: Despite mounting business pressure, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Friday extended the country’s lockdown till May 3.
This comes at a time when Italy’s death toll due to COVID-19 climbed by another 570, bringing the country’s total fatalities to 18,849.
The PM said the extension of the lockdown was a difficult but necessary decision for which he takes all political responsibility, as the country cannot afford another spike in infection.
Conte said he was giving a waiver to a limited range of business and shops to resume activity, however social distancing needs to be strictly followed. The full list of exemptions will be published today.
The extension decision has come followed by days of consultations with scientists and union leaders with a range of conflicting concerns.
- Photos show N. Korea expanding uranium enrichment plant
- Porns film case: Kundra seeks bail citing ‘no evidence’ against him
- Meghalaya Chief Justice Biswanath Somadder to take charge of Sikkim HC
- Nagaland Lottery September 18: Check Dear Kosai Morning lottery result
- World Bamboo Day: Assam and its bond with this versatile plant
- US court sets aside proposed Trump-era rule on H-1B visa selection