Guwahati: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Sunday staged a protest here, demanding a Joint Parliamentary Committee probe into the allegations of malpractices against the Adani group in the Hindenburg Research report.
Workers of the party tried to march towards the Assam BJP headquarters on National Highway-27 in the Basistha area but were stopped by the police around 50 metres away from the place.
“We picked up many protesters and took them in a bus to the designated dharna site at Chachal. They were released there,” a senior police officer said.
“We demand a JPC probe into the latest allegations of malpractices in Adani stocks,” an AAP member said.
The protesters also raised slogans against the ruling BJP and billionaire industrialist Gautam Adani.
Adani Group stocks had taken a beating on the bourses after the US-based Hindenburg Research made several allegations, including fraudulent transactions and share price manipulation.
The Gautam Adani-led group has dismissed the allegations.
Help sustain honest journalism.
The opposition parties have alleged that the meltdown in Adani Group shares is a scam that involves common people’s money as “LIC and SBI have invested in them”.
These parties have also been demanding a Joint Parliamentary Committee probe into the issue.
Also read | Why Assam Gorkhas are protesting for land rights in Bodoland
- Manipur: Kuki students slam tribal body’s call to lift NH-2 blockade
- Assam: Environmentalists envisage ‘zero waste village’ near Chandubi lake
- IIT Guwahati retains 7th spot in ‘Engineering’ category of NIRF rankings 2023
- Nitin Gadkari lays foundation stone for two NH projects in Assam
- CPM leader slams BJP govt on law and order in Tripura
- Manipur violence: Two displaced children die at Mizoram relief camp