Guwahati: A senior counsel was ‘decourted’ from Gauhati High Court on Friday for wearing jeans to a hearing and the case has been adjourned for a week.
Justice Kalyan Rai Surana called in the police to decourt the counsel, B K Mahajan and asked that the matter be brought to the notice of the chief justice, registrar general and bar council.
“Matter stands adjourned today as Mr. B.K. Mahajan, learned counsel for the petitioner is attired in jeans pants. Therefore, the Court had to call for the police personnel to decourt him outside the High Court campus,” the order said.
It also said that the order be brought to the notice of the chief justice as well as the registrar general.
Help sustain honest journalism.
“The matter be also brought to the notice of Bar Councils of Assam, Nagaland, Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh,” Justice Surana added.
The matter, an anticipatory bail plea, will now come up for hearing after a week.
Also read | Nepal’s Deputy PM resigns after SC nullifies his citizenship
- Sikkim reports 6 new COVID-19 cases
- Literary body apologises over its Assamese-Bengali ‘gamosa’
- Meghalaya wants private investors to run MCCL in PPP mode: Conrad K Sangma
- Manipur: Former minister RV Mingthing dies at 92
- China silent on reports of skipping G20 meet in Arunachal Pradesh
- Nagaland witnessing rise in revenue from coal, forest: CM Rio