Guwahati: In a tragic incident, the driver of a passenger train was electrocuted to death at the Guwahati Railway Station on Tuesday evening.
As per Railway officials, the incident occurred at about 7:40 pm, when loco pilot Siva Saikia was inspecting the engine of the Guwahati-Murkongselek Lachit Express.
Saikia reportedly died on the spot after getting electrocuted by the overhead electric lines.
Guneet Kaur, the spokesperson for the Northeast Frontier Railway, said Saikia’s body has been sent to the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) for post-mortem, after which it will be sent to his native place in upper Assam’s Golaghat district.
“It is with profound grief we inform you that one of our railwaymen, loco pilot of Rangia division Siva Saikia, lost his life in an unfortunate incident at the Guwahati station on January 18 during a loco check… All help is being extended to his family,” Kaur said.
The Lachit Express train was scheduled to depart from the Guwahati Railway station at 10:20 pm on Tuesday.
- What happens if you need to pee while you’re asleep?
- Drivers in Mizoram repair dilapidated roads
- Keeping your cool in a warming world: 8 steps to help manage eco-anxiety
- Assam: RGU celebrates International Peace Day
- Meghalaya: Drugs worth Rs 2 crore seized in Shillong
- Ziro Festival to host Israeli musicians in collaboration with Embassy of Israel