Guwahati markets get a new entrant this Magh Bihu. Readymade ‘Mezi’, or thatch structures made of bamboo, straw & dried leaves are now sold at shops in Guwahati.
“We brought all the required material such as bamboo and hay and made them here. People are Assamese at heart and want to properly celebrate Bihu but in a place like Guwahati, it is not easy to collect all the raw materials. So we have made it easier for them and they will be able to joyfully celebrate Bihu,” Parag Jyoti Kalita, a vendor from Guwahati’s Khanapara market, told EastMojo.
“We have made smaller structures for the people of Guwahati. These won’t need much space. Bigger structures need more space but we have made smaller ones and, if anyone needs bigger structures, we can prepare on order,” said another vendor, Meraj-ul-Hoque, from Zoo Road area of the city.
‘Bhela Ghar’ and ‘Mezi’ are an integral part of Magh Bihu celebrations. The structures are sold for anything between Rs 500 and Rs 800, and the demand for the readymade ‘Mezi’ is quite high in Guwahati.
Speaking on the sale of the new entrant, Kalita said, “The sale has been quite good and it will only increase as Bihu gets closer. On average, we have been able to sell around 100 structures.”
- China media say foreign parcels suspected in new infections
- Seven held with tiger, deer skins during ‘prosperity’ ritual in MP
- Mizoram reports 1,280 new COVID-19 cases, death toll rises to 573
- U-19 World Cup: India eye improved batting performance vs Ireland
- Manipur 2022: Cong expels Thangmeiband MLA Kh Joykisan
- Volcanic ash delays aid to Tonga as scale of damage emerges