Guwahati: Guwahati Press Club (GPC) has expressed its regret over the non-inclusion of the names of the journalists who lost their lives due to COVID in the Press Information Bureau list of beneficiaries of the Journalist Welfare Scheme.
GPC officials requested Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur to look into the matter, and urged him to ensure that “no journalist from Assam or for that matter anywhere in the country is kept out of the ambit of the scheme.”
The Press Club has written a letter to the Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting Anurag Singh Thakur, requesting him to look into the matter.
“Our attention has been drawn towards the written statement given on the floor of the Lok Sabha on December 7, 2021, wherein it was stated that a sum of Rs 6.5 crore has been approved under the Journalist Welfare Scheme for the year 2021-22,” the letter stated.
“However, to our utter surprise and disbelief, the list of beneficiaries does not feature journalists from Assam, for reasons best known to the PIB, which is believed to have prepared the list,” the letter added.
- 19-year-old woman sets record for solo global flight
- Rohit, Pant and Ashwin feature in ICC’s ‘Test Team of Year’
- Arunachal Ratna announced for state’s 1st Lt Guv Late K A A Raja
- Pentagon releases first video of botched Kabul airstrike
- N. Korea slams US, hints at resuming nuclear, ICBM tests
- Arunachal CM says will soon trace mastermind of ANYA bandh call