Guwahati: Guwahati Press Club (GPC) has expressed its regret over the non-inclusion of the names of the journalists who lost their lives due to COVID in the Press Information Bureau list of beneficiaries of the Journalist Welfare Scheme.
GPC officials requested Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur to look into the matter, and urged him to ensure that “no journalist from Assam or for that matter anywhere in the country is kept out of the ambit of the scheme.”
The Press Club has written a letter to the Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting Anurag Singh Thakur, requesting him to look into the matter.
“Our attention has been drawn towards the written statement given on the floor of the Lok Sabha on December 7, 2021, wherein it was stated that a sum of Rs 6.5 crore has been approved under the Journalist Welfare Scheme for the year 2021-22,” the letter stated.
“However, to our utter surprise and disbelief, the list of beneficiaries does not feature journalists from Assam, for reasons best known to the PIB, which is believed to have prepared the list,” the letter added.
- Opposition MPs protest in Parliament premises on Adani issue
- Meghalaya 2023: Denied BJP ticket, ex-MLA joins TMC for North Tura
- Nagaland polls: CM Neiphiu Rio files nomination
- SC observation on Sikkimese Nepalis: Rijiju says Centre to file review petition
- Mizoram Assembly to pass resolution opposing Uniform Civil Code
- Tourist from Sikkim falls off auto after two men snatch her bag in Amritsar, dies