Guwahati: An Imphal-bound passenger was apprehended by CISF personnel at the airport here on Wednesday for allegedly trying to smuggle in US dollars worth Rs 65.70 lakh, a senior official of the force said.
The 25-year-old passenger was intercepted with $90,000 during security checks, and he was later handed over to the Customs authorities as he could not furnish a valid document for carrying the foreign currency, he said.
The value of the recovered currency is about Rs 65.70 lakh, the official said.
He said that the two Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) officials, Sub Inspectors S K Singh and Dalip Kumar, who detected the hidden dollars have been given a reward of Rs 10,000 each by the force chief.
Also read | Shocking: 14-year-old girl brutally murdered in Guwahati
- Nagaland govt not prepared to fight people: CM on ULB polls
- Faith and superstition: A journey via the eyes of the poor in Panisokori
- Why bioplastics won’t solve our plastic problems
- Increased maternal education in India linked with lower under-five deaths: Study
- Meghalaya: Wildlife dept to probe death of barking deer in Tura
- New NCERT textbooks revised as per NEP likely from 2024-25