Tensions gripped Guwahati’s Chandrapur area after Assam Police resorted to lathi-charge to disperse protestors who blocked the Narengi-Chandrapur-Morigaon road on Wednesday evening.
According to reports, the All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) members along with local people blocked more than 20 garbage laden trucks since morning hours.
Several protesters have reportedly been injured in the lathi charge while a few of them been detained. It is to be noted that the residents of the greater Chandrapur area have been protesting for over two weeks against the shifting of the city’s garbage dumping site from Boragaon to Chandrapur.
Greater Chandrapur area residents have been protesting for weeks against the shifting of the city’s garbage dumping site from Boragaon to Chandrapur. They fear that garbage being dumped in the proposed site—a defunct thermal power plant of the Assam government—will pollute the region’s ecology.
The GMC started dumping garbage in the area on June 28, following a directive of the Assam Government which ordered the Kamrup Metropolitan district to discontinue the Boragaon site and use the newly-created alternative at Chandrapur.
Also Read: Assam: Why Chandrapur residents have been protesting for over a week
- Mizoram churches condole death of Assam Police personnel in border clash
- Won’t allow illegal coke factories in East Jaintia Hills: MLA Kyrmen Shylla
- Independent committee to probe ‘rice scam’: Meghalaya govt
- Boundary row: Mizoram Youth Congress seeks President’s intervention
- The Optics of India’s ‘Chinky’ medalists at the Olympics
- Heartbreak as Indian women crash out of Olympic hockey final race