Guwahati: Twelve COVID-19 patients admitted at Assam’s Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) died an hour late on Monday night. Out of the 12 patients, 9 patients were admitted at the Super Speciality COVID ICU and three at the General Ward. The deaths were reported between midnight and 1 am on Tuesday.
“Cause of death is due to last-minute hospital admission and low oxygen levels,” says GMCH Superintendent Dr Abhijit Sarma. He further added that none of the 12 patients were vaccinated.
The sudden death of the COVID-19 patients prompted the Assam Health and Family Welfare Minister, Keshab Mahanta to visit GMCH at midnight.
“Due to the 12 COVID-19 deaths in GMCH, we are taking stock of the actions taken here. We have seen that doctors are on duty in the Super Specialty COVID ICU as well as GMCH. But we will still increase the precautions. There will be a requirement of senior doctors in both the hospitals. I will discuss it with the GMCH Principal and other doctors. After discussion, we will change some of the administrative procedures. The doctors from any department will be on duty on a rotation basis as usual. But if a specialist doctor is needed, that will be arranged depending on the condition of the patient,” he said
“We have arranged separate 300 beds for children. Treatment for children is already going on. Similar measures have been taken in all hospitals in other districts as well.”
As per National Health Mission (NHM) in Assam, 2,689 new COVID-19 cases were detected on Monday and the death toll stands at 4,482 with 42 new COVID-19 fatalities.
- Meghalaya 2023: Busiest day in Garo Hills on day 4 of nominations
- No proposal to use remote voting machine in “upcoming election” in country: Rijiju in LS
- Tripura 2023: LF-Cong alliance has no mission or vision, says Bengal LoP
- ‘Immigrant’ Row: Sikkim CM’s effigies burnt, SDF calls for shutdown
- Fee payment delay: Gauhati HC sets aside notice declaring students ‘non-collegiate’
- Tripura Polls: Union Minister Pratima Bhoumik holds campaign in Dhanpur