Silchar: Over 40 students suffered food poisoning at the National Institute of Technology, Silchar, with several requiring intravenous treatment due to severe symptoms, particularly intense diarrhoea and dehydration, sources said.
Following the outbreak, the institution’s management swiftly issued a notice, asking the boarders to avoid food from outside. “In view of the present circumstances related to food poisoning of multiple boarders of NIT Silchar, it is hereby instructed not to consume fast/street foods from outside,” a notice from the Dean of Students Welfare read.
As per the Gymkhana Members, the Institute’s student Union body, the students had consumed momo from a food outlet beyond the institute’s gates, at the NIT point from where the illness spread. The students informed that many were admitted to the Jeevan Jyoti Institute of Medical Sciences while some even went to the Silchar Medical College and Hospital.
Over the past four years, EastMojo revolutionised the coverage of Northeast India through our sharp, impactful, and unbiased coverage. And we are not saying this: you, our readers, say so about us. Thanks to you, we have become Northeast India’s largest, independent, multimedia digital news platform.
Now, we need your help to sustain what you started.
We are fiercely protective of our ‘independent’ status and would like to remain so: it helps us provide quality journalism free from biases and agendas. From travelling to the remotest regions to cover various issues to paying local reporters honest wages to encourage them, we spend our money on where it matters.
Now, we seek your support in remaining truly independent, unbiased, and objective. We want to show the world that it is possible to cover issues that matter to the people without asking for corporate and/or government support. We can do it without them; we cannot do it without you.
Support independent journalism, subscribe to EastMojo.
Given the severity of the situation, officials of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) visited the campus to investigate the outbreak and provide expertise in assessing food safety protocols.
Fortunately, many affected individuals have successfully recovered, easing concerns of the campus community.
- PM Modi congratulates Lalduhoma on taking oath as Mizoram CM
- Hornbill Festival continues even after winter rain lashes Kohima
- WB paddlers dominate Day 2 of Uni TT tournament in Guwahati
- Huge honour: Arunachal ranger Bunty Tao to lead Asian Rangers Forum
- Fake toll plaza in Gujarat collects over Rs 75 crore
- Adoption process must be fast-tracked: Tripura Minister