Nagaon (Assam): A priest and two others have been arrested in Assam’s Nagaon district for their alleged involvement in drug peddling, police said on Wednesday.
The three accused were held in the Crossing Gate Bazar area of Lumding town late on Monday night, a senior officer said.
“Based on specific information, we apprehended a man, who is a priest in a temple in Lumding. Two others were also arrested for smuggling contraband into the area,” Lumding Police Station Officer-in-Charge Chandan Jyoti Bora said.
Help sustain honest journalism.
Drugs in a plastic container have also been recovered from their possession.
“The accused were produced before Hojai’s Sankardev Nagar Court on Tuesday and sent them to judicial custody,” he added.
Also Read | Assam: GP Singh takes charge as DGP, pledges to make force citizen-centric
- Assam Govt signs MoU with Flybig to start intra-state flight services
- Northeast needs a lot of things: Hindi is not one of them
- Rahul disqualification an ‘own goal’ by BJP, says Shashi Tharoor
- Rahul Gandhi should accept court verdict: Meghalaya CM
- Centre withdraws AFSPA from 4 more police stations in Manipur
- Climate change threatening tea sector globally: ITA