Guwahati: More than 100 kgs of marijuana, valued at over Rs 1 crore, was seized in Assam’s largest city Guwahati on Saturday and two persons were arrested in this connection, police said.
This is the second major drug haul in the city in three days by the Guwahati Police.
“Acting on a tip-off, a police team intercepted a north India bound-truck in Jorabat area of the city and recovered 101 kg of marijuana hidden in the driver’s cabin. Two persons were arrested,” a senior officer said.
The goods vehicle was coming from Tripura, he said.
Help sustain honest journalism.
Taking to Twitter, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said, “BIG HAUL! @GuwahatiPol intercepted a truck traveling (travelling) from a neighbouring state at Jorabat and seized 101 kgs of marijuana. Also apprehended two accused. Well done team @assampolice.”
Notably, 320 kgs of ganja, a narcotic substance, was recovered from a truck on Thursday and one person was held by the city police. The contraband was valued at Rs 2 crore.
Also Read | Who is Shah Rukh Khan, asks Himanta
- With climate change, Nepal’s leopards get bigger range, more problems
- Ukraine: why supply of US and German tanks echoes cold war
- Flow of visitors to Kenya from India up in 2022: Officials
- Indian-origin man in UK convicted of killing father in 2021
- Fossil teeth show how brains grew in utero over years of human evolution
- Bengal: Inspection of Orange metro line conducted