Nagaon (Assam): A court in the Nagaon district of Assam has awarded 20 years of rigorous imprisonment to a person found guilty of drug trafficking.
Nagaon District and Session Judge Nilkamal Nath on Saturday also imposed a fine of Rs 3 lakh on the convict, Habil Ali, failing to pay which he will have to spend another 18 months in jail.
A team of Assam Police arrested Ali from his residence in December 2020 and seized brown sugar and cannabis worth around Rs 2.5 crore along with more than Rs 10 lakh in cash from his possession.
Help sustain honest journalism.
Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma welcomed the court’s verdict.
“GOOD NEWS… In a big boost to our efforts in combating drug menace, drug peddler Habil Ali, who was caught by @nagaonpolice for trafficking 2 kg Heroin, 100 kg Ganja, 1 kg Opium, Rs 10 lakh cash, got convicted today for 20 yrs. Compliments to @assampolice.”
Also Read | ‘Sudden’ lockout in Assam tea garden; 500 workers in agitation
- Assam: Class 11 student killed after being hit by school bus in Guwahati
- Punjabi Lane residents agreed in principle to relocation: Meghalaya govt to HC
- Apple Vision Pro headset: what does it do and will it deliver?
- Cyclone Biparjoy rapidly intensifies into very severe cyclonic storm
- Construction of Eklavya Model Residential Schools to start soon: Meghalaya Education Min
- Mamata sends Bengal’s top varieties of mangoes to President, PM