Silchar (Assam): Vatican Ambassador to India Rev Archbishop Leopoldo Girelli on Friday expressed respect for the peaceful co-existence of people of diverse religions and cultures in Assam’s Barak Valley.
He maintained that the southern part of Assam is a reflection of India’s ‘unity in diversity’ tradition.
“Barak Valley is an example of peace. People of different languages, religions and cultures live here peacefully since ancient times,” the visiting dignitary told reporters here.
“The Indian tradition of ‘unity in diversity’ is reflected in the positive atmosphere of Barak Valley,” he added.
Help sustain honest journalism.
The archbishop is on a two-day visit to Silchar from Thursday during which he visited schools in the town as well as neighbouring areas.
He also met church delegates from Mizoram.
Also Read | Assam CM unveils multiple projects in Lakhimpur
- Fast X review: proof that there’s method in madness of the franchise
- More looted arms recovered in violence-hit Manipur
- Assam: 3F Oil Palm collaborates with state govt for ceremonial plantation
- Naga club vandalism: Angamis urges NSF to withdraw FIR
- 57 arms, 318 ammunition, 5 bombs recovered in strife-torn Manipur
- 15 construction workers killed in vehicle collision in Bangladesh