Kokrajhar: A court in Assam’s Kokrajhar district on Tuesday sentenced a man to 20 years rigorous imprisonment for raping a 10-year-old girl in July 2019.
The Special Judge for Pocso cases, Joydeb Koch also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 on Sharidul Islam of Gossaigaon for raping the minor girl.
Islam raped the girl when she went to the grazing field near a river to see her family cows.
Based on a complaint by the victim’s uncle, a case was registered under the Indian Penal Code and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
- Manipur: Bollywood actor Randeep Hooda marries Lin Laishram in Imphal
- Women’s rights in the balance as India weighs criminalising marital rape
- Nagaland: Water supply halted in Kohima after one found dead in reservoir
- Northeast Petroleum Union calls off strike after govt discussion
- Violence or poverty? The stark choice for many women
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for November 29