All the children were immediately rushed to the Kakopathar block primary health centre. The doctors later referred a few of them to the Tinsukia civil hospital whose condition was deteriorating. They are currently undergoing treatment at the hospital, and their condition is said to be stable.
According to the in-charge of the Anganwadi centre, one of the workers mistakenly mixed phenyl in place of milk, while preparing food for the children. The Anganwadi worker reportedly committed the blunder, as both the bottles of phenyl and milk were kept together.
“Nobody will do it intentionally. It happened as both the bottles of milk and phenyl were kept together. The bottles got mixed up while cleaning the room. We usually keep phenyl bottles in a box but today it was left open in a hurry as all the workers were busy in a meeting,” said the in-charge of the Anganwadi centre.
Parents accused the Anganwadi workers of being careless.
“Food was being prepared in the Anganwadi centre. One of them poured phenyl in place of milk while preparing it. 10 children fell ill and have been shifted to the Tinsukia civil hospital,” a parent said.
- UGC tells education institutions to create awareness on ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign
- Former Pak PM Imran Khan took most items from Toshakhana for free
- China continues rare military drills around Taiwan even after 4 days
- Top TTP commander Khorasani, 3 others killed in Afghanistan blast
- US-China relationship unlikely to improve soon: Singapore PM Lee
- Students stage protest against massive fuel price hike in Bangladesh