The victims, a family of three, died on the spot after being hit by a train on its way from Guwahati to Silghat.
According to eyewitness accounts, the driver of the hatchback, bearing registration number AS02-N-4402 was unaware of the approaching train locomotive.
The deceased: father, mother and son from nearby Samaguri Telia Amtol village are Chandra Kumar Kalita, Nilima Devi and Sunny Kalita.
“We were sitting on a culvert. The train was coming towards Silghat from the Nagaon side. Three people, two men and a woman, in a car tried to cross the unmanned level-crossing when the locomotive mowed down the car. All three people died on the spot. The police have arrived. It’s a tragic incident,” said a local villager at Puranigudam Bikhoyachuk.
- Assam: Japanese Encephalitis death toll climbs to 66
- Tea exports increase by 7% in first five months
- Explained: Why Monkeypox isn’t an STI & what counts as close contact
- Airlines to share intl passengers’ info with customs prior to departure
- Here’s why sunscreen is an anti-ageing skincare essential
- Manoj Prabhakar appointed Nepal cricket coach