Guwahati: The Assam Police on Friday seized a Fake Indian Currency Note (FICN) printing machine, along with counterfeit notes, from a rented house in the Jyotinagar area of Guwahati, and arrested a woman in this connection.
Acting on a tip-off, the Chandmari police raided the house of the accused Usha Barman (36) and seized the FICN printing machine, fake notes besides other materials used in making fake currency notes from her possession.
It is suspected that Barman is just the tip of the iceberg and a much bigger racket is involved in printing and circulating the fake currency notes.
The accused was also working in a beauty parlour in the Zoo Road area of the city.
Speaking with EastMojo, additional deputy commissioner of police, central range, Guwahati Pallav Tamuli said, “We have arrested a woman Usha Barman and seized an FICN printing machine and fake currency notes from her possession. Our officials are still counting the fake currency. Investigation into the matter is on and legal action will be initiated against the accused.”
Also Read | Assam govt to focus on judicious use of forest resources
- Tripura gears up to host G20 delegates between April 3-4
- Some parties agitating for Gorkhaland to grab power: Anit Thapa
- Is Mizoram’s refugee crisis finally breaking the state?
- Meghalaya: Two-day millet festival to conclude today
- Single-day rise of 2,151 fresh COVID-19 cases in India
- Meghalaya HC directs govt to ID land for greenfield airport