Guwahati: The Government Railway Police (GRP), Guwahati on Wednesday seized 730 grams of morphine at the Guwahati railway station.
Based on specific input, sleuths of the GRP, Guwahati arrested two persons Rajesh Kumar Singh and Srikant Singh, both hailing from Tinsukia district, from the New Delhi-bound 20503 Rajdhani Express and seized the narcotic, valued at Rs 70 lakh in the international market from their possession.
The narcotics, concealed in the corners of trolley bags, were being transported from Dimapur to Lucknow.
Morphine is a naturally occurring substance that is extracted from poppy plants and is typically used in medicine to help people battle pain. It is also used by addicts as a form of a narcotic drug. Heroin, an illegal type of opioid drug, is also made from morphine.
In yet another operation, personnel of the GRP arrested another person, Bishal Singh, from the New Delhi-bound 12423 Rajdhani Express, and seized 200 bundles of foreign cigarettes, worth Rs 4 lakh in the grey market.
The accused was reportedly transporting the contraband item from Dimapur to Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh.
- Former Pak PM Imran Khan took most items from Toshakhana for free
- China continues rare military drills around Taiwan even after 4 days
- Top TTP commander Khorasani, 3 others killed in Afghanistan blast
- US-China relationship unlikely to improve soon: Singapore PM Lee
- Students stage protest against massive fuel price hike in Bangladesh
- Dalai Lama congratulates Vice President-elect Jagdeep Dhankhar