Sipajhar: In a tragic turn of events, four people died on the spot and three others were critically injured after a truck rammed into pedestrians on the NH 15 at Sipajhar in Assam’s Darrang district.
Indadul Haque, Jintu Moni Ahmed, Jaymati Baruah and Sangita Baruah died on the spot, while Rekib Ali passed away on his way to the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital. The condition of two others is said to be critical.
As per eyewitnesses, Jaymati and Sangita lived near the accident spot and were out for their morning walk while Indadul, Jintu and Rekib were on their way home from the Sipajhar High School playground. All three of them were students aged 14-15.
Locals also alleged that police took about an hour to reach the spot despite the police station being only 100 metres from the mishap site.
“The incident must have taken place at around 5 am. The police station is not even 100 metres from here, yet they took around an hour to reach the spot, and the ambulance did not reach here any sooner either,” stated a resident of the area who was among the first people to reach the spot.
According to the police, the driver lost control of the truck and ran over the pedestrians who were out for their morning walk.
Meanwhile, the driver and conductor of the truck bearing registration number AS-11-BC-1555 fled the scene.
- Arunachal: Granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi visits Ziro
- Taylor Swift and the end of the Hollywood writers strike: A tale of two media narratives
- Former Congress MLA KT Rokhaw resigns, joins MNF ahead of elections
- Manipuri-English film promoting gender-neutral fashion to be screened in Mumbai
- Manipur: Delhi court prolongs NIA custody of accused for eight days
- Meghalaya: 2 boys from Garo Hills set to join Hyderabad FC Under-17 team