Tinsukia. A major fire broke out in a market area in Assam’s Dibrugarh town early on Wednesday morning, reducing over 20 shops to ashes.
The shops, mostly selling garments, were damaged completely but no casualties have been reported. The fire also spread to multi-storied building housing shops and godowns in the New Market locality.
Deputy commissioner of police Biswajit Pegu told EastMojo the fire has destroyed property and goods worth more than a few crores.
“Preliminary report indicates that the fire started from a shop due to short-circuit.”
Appealing to the residents and shopkeepers, Pegu said everyone should go for an electrical audit from time to time to avert such incidents and save their property and the neighbourhood.
“It is a collective responsibility and one should also go for fire insurance to get compensated in case of such devastating fire,” Pegu said.
“If there is anything alarming that residents come across, they should come forward and inform district administration so that necessary steps can be taken within time,” the police official added.
A shopkeeper, who did not wish to be named, said with the biggest festival of Assam, Bihu, knocking the door, all shopkeepers in the area had lifted huge quantity and variety of stock to cater to the customers.
“Everything has turned into ash. We do not know how we will cope with the massive losses standing in front of us.”
Besides garment shops, electronics, optical and shoes shops were among those that got completely gutted in the fire.
More than dozen fire tenders from state fire services, Oil India Limited, Air Force (Chabua), BCPL fought for several hours before they could douse the fire.
- Indian women’s cricket team wins gold at Asian Games
- BJP elects Rikman Momin as Meghalaya state president
- Unveiling the splendours of creative expression: Ziro Literary Festival 2023 beckons
- 88-year-old hero from Mizoram’s Lawngtlai District receives Jeevan Raksha Padak
- Assam-origin entrepreneur launches tea brand with traceable chip packaging
- Mizoram: Ex-chairman of Chakma council convicted of corruption