Guwahati: With 10 days to go for the Republic day celebration, the Assam state cultural department is uncertain whether or not the tableau from Assam will be a part of the Republic Day parade.
Assam government sent a proposal to the Centre for displaying the works of the freedom fighter Kanaklata Barua, where she is seen holding the Indian tricolour.
However, the Centre is yet to reply on the theme selection.
Assam cultural affairs minister Bimal Bora on Sunday told the media that the state government has appealed to the centre to select a tableau with the theme Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
Bora added that it is not compulsory that Assam will get a chance to present the tableau during the main event in New Delhi.
It may be mentioned here that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has also written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday asking him to reconsider the centre’s decision to `abruptly exclude’ the state proposed tableau from the Republic Day parade.
She said the people of Bengal are deeply pained by the exclusion, which amounted to belittling and undermining Bengal freedom fighters.
- PM Modi meets UP ministers in Lucknow, stresses on good governance
- Rajnath Singh launches 2 indigenously built warships ‘Surat’ and ‘Udaygiri’
- Trained sniffer dogs may detect Covid infected airport passengers: Study
- WPI inflation at record high in April on price rise across all items
- Manipur: Even floods can’t stop these kids from coming to school in Noney
- Govt OKs exporting wheat registered with customs prior to ban