Guwahati: Assam reported 1167 new cases of COVID 19 on Friday, according to data released by the National Health Mission.
Friday’s numbers are nearly double the number reported on Thursday, the NHM said.
Kamrup (M) district, which comprises Guwahati city, recorded 517 new cases during the day.
The day’s positivity rate was 3.32 per cent, higher than the 1.29 per cent the previous day.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Friday said the third wave of the pandemic along with the Omicron variant of COVID-19 hit the state on January 1.
He said the government will treat all Covid cases as patients of the highly-infectious new variant.
At least seven more people, including a foreign returnee, have tested positive for the Omicron variant of Covid in Assam, taking the tally of the new strain to nine, an official said on Friday.
Nagaland to engage third party over differences on Shamator district
- China aims to replace US as global net security provider, says Army chief
- Meghalaya CM says load-shedding will continue, but things will improve soon
- Arunachal: East Kameng police solves ATM robbery case, arrests culprit
- BJP-TIPRA clash on TTAADC budget in Tripura Assembly
- Dimapur-Kohima railway line project work on in full swing: NFR
- Steel slag road technology a boon to BRO: Niti Aayog member