Guwahati: A senior Assam government official was arrested on Tuesday after she was caught red-handed accepting a bribe of Rs 4,000.
A junior grade staff at the state Secretariat was also arrested in connection with the same incident.
A complaint was received against a senior administrative assistant of the Welfare of Bodoland Department for having demanded Rs 10,000 for processing the salary file of the complainant’s sister, the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti- Corruption said in a statement.
When the complainant and his sister approached the officer, she demanded the bribe to facilitate the smooth processing of the file in cahoots with a Grade 4 staff of the same department.
“Unwilling to pay the bribe, the complainant approached the Directorate of V&AC, Assam for taking necessary legal action against the above-mentioned public servant,” the statement said.
Accordingly, a trap was laid on Tuesday by a team at her office and the accused was caught red-handed while accepting the bribe and Rs 4,000 was recovered from her possession.
“During a search at her workplace, an additional amount of Rs 99,000 was recovered by the team from her handbag,” the statement said.
The Grade-4 staff was also arrested.
A case has been registered under relevant sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 against the officer and the junior grade staff, it added.
“Necessary legal follow-up actions are being taken,” the statement said.
- How big data and big dollars are changing cricket
- Budget 2023-24 has very little for marginalised sections: Rights groups
- Meghalaya 2023: NPP Garo Hills candidates file nominations
- India’s push for climate finance in Eco Survey reflects its stance as G20 President
- India, US keen to conclude USD 3 billion MQ-9B predator drone deal
- PM undertook 21 trips abroad since 2019, over Rs 22.76 cr spent: Govt