Guwahati: A suspected drug peddler was injured after police opened fire at him while he was allegedly trying to escape from custody in Rani in the outskirts of Guwahati.
The injured person was admitted to state-run Guwahati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH), where he is stable.
The drug peddler has been identified as Taser Ali, who ran a drug network in Guwahati and its adjoining areas.
According to Gorchuk police station, the accused was shot while trying to flee from a police vehicle in the Rani area at midnight on Monday.
The man got down the police vehicle on the pretext of relieving himself.
However, he then attempted to flee, forcing our personnel to shoot at his leg, police said.
- Meghalaya launches CM-Elevate prog to create jobs
- Missing youth from Nagaland rescued in Manipur
- Mizoram: 300 healthcare centres to be solarised
- What happens if you need to pee while you’re asleep?
- Drivers in Mizoram repair dilapidated roads
- Keeping your cool in a warming world: 8 steps to help manage eco-anxiety