Aizawl: Acting on specific information, Assam Rifles recovered 10 cases of foreign origin cigarettes worth Rs 13 lakh at Zokhawthar village on the Mizoram-Myanmar border on Sunday, Assam Rifles said in a statement.
The recovered contraband was handed over to the Customs department for further legal proceedings, it said.
Ongoing smuggling of foreign origin cigarettes is a major cause of concern for the state of Mizoram, especially along the Indo-Myanmar border, the statement said.
Assam Rifles, christened as the ‘Sentinels of Northeast’, has continued its efforts against the smuggling activities in Mizoram, it added.
- Can sports innovate without losing the romance?
- Delhi HC sends to SC plea seeking uniform min marriage age for men, women
- Coffee doesn’t give you extra energy. Here’s what happens instead
- Expecting slowdown in Indian economy to 6.1 pc in 2023: IMF
- India condemns terror attack in Pakistan’s Peshawar city
- Scientists working to increase shelf life of millets-based products