In an attempt to help children cope with the pandemic-induced mental stress and develop the habit of reading, Lions club, Gauhati Greater started a free library for children up to 18 years of age at the Dr Anita Baruah Sarma College of Education ( Bye Lane No. 01, L.K.R.B. Path, Nabin Nagar, Opp. AIDC, Zoo Road, Guwahati – 781024).
The library services started their operations on December 14, 2021. Any child can become a member of the free library and can avail the reading facility at library premises and borrow books for home reading on a returnable basis.
The Blue Ladder Children Library is a permanent project of Lion’s Club in association with “The Blue Ladder”. It has books of all types: picture books, storybooks, encyclopaedias, general knowledge, motivational books, fiction, comic books etc. The library currently has books in English, Hindi and Assamese languages.
The library will be open from 3 pm to 6 pm on all days except Sunday, Monday and holidays.
The library will have 600 books initially and will be increased every month. Prominent children magazines like Intelly Jelly, Readers Digest, Amar Chitra Katha etc will also be available to children, along with various encyclopaedias of Geography, History, Science etc. The library will conduct different activities like Storytelling, Public speaking, book reviews etc from time to time for increasing the vocabulary, communication and personality skills of children.
- Assam govt to make docu on Patharughat peasant uprising: CM
- New Songs Sunday: Pray It Away, You Only Love Me & more
- NGT refrains from imposing Rs 1,000 crore fine on Assam
- State to file review petition in SC to expunge ‘foreigner’ tag on Sikkimese Nepali
- India records 109 new COVID-19 infections
- Assam: 2 persons killed in road accident; locals torch vehicle