Guwahati: A Giraffe at Assam State Botanical Garden-cum-Zoo in Guwahati died on Thursday night. The giraffe known as Rongili here was brought from Patna in 2019, and died at around 10.30 pm on Thursday after suffocating in an unfortunate accident.
“Prima facie evidence indicates that it was an accidental death… Post mortem is on and further inquiry will reveal the exact cause of the death,” Ashwini Kumar, Divisional Forest Officer in-charge of the Assam Zoo told EastMojo.
Sources said the giraffe died after it accidentally wrapped a green tarpaulin sheet around its neck and suffocated to death.
Two giraffes, named Rongili and Kulananda, were brought to Assam in 2019 as a part of an animal exchange programme approved by the central zoo authority. With Rongili’s death now, the Assam State Zoo-cum-Botanical Garden at Japorigog in Guwahati is now left with only one giraffe, Kulananda.
Assam forest minister Parimal Suklabaidya had tweeted then, “Giraffe is on the way to @assamzoo. It will again be part of the Zoo after a long gap of 8 years.”
- CBI leads major crackdown against drug cartels; 127 cases registered, 175 arrested
- Mizoram: Tourism dept employee sacked over alleged misbehaviour
- ‘Semkhor’: Nagaland Dimasa body condemns wrong depiction of community in film
- ISRO scientist Anil Kumar elected VP of International Astronautical Federation
- All women entitled to safe, legal abortion: Supreme Court
- Assam: Prez Murmu to inaugurate Dhubri Medical College on Oct 12