Guwahati: A 50-year-old man, who was arrested on charges of rape of three minor, was injured in police firing in Assam’s Morigaon district on wee hours of Thursday.
The accused Rajani Kanta Daimary was arrested on Wednesday, allegedly for raping three minor girls of Jengorbari village in Morigaon district, on complaint of the victims’ family members.
Police claimed he was “shot in the leg as he tried to escape from custody”.
Morigaon district Superintendent of Police Aparna Natarajan told EastMojo that the firing took place while accused Rajani Kanta Daimary was taken by a police team to the crime scene to recover evidence related to the rape of the three minor girls.
He was admitted to the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) on Thursday morning.
“When the accused tried to flee, police resorted to two rounds of firing, and he was injured in it,” the SP said.
Police on Wednesday arrested Daimary for allegedly raping three minor girls.
The accused person was absconding after committing the crime and police caught him from the Amtola area on Wednesday.
“On December 20, a case was registered at Laharighat police station against Rajani Daimary for allegedly raping three minor girls, between the age group of 6-7 years. We nabbed the on Wednesday,” she added.
- India’s Maternal Mortality Ratio dips to 97 in 2018-20 from 130 in 2014-16
- India reports 279 new COVID-19 cases
- Tripura 2023: Congress says 30% candidates will be youths
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for November 30
- Tatas set up EV charging station in Guwahati
- Manipur: MLTR set Imphal stage on fire with popular numbers